It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
- 1 package gingerbread cake mix or make your own from scratch.
- 3 cups eggnog
- 1 (5.1 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries (or any red fruit)
- gingersnap cookie crumbs (optional)
- Prepare gingerbread cake mix and bake according to package directions (any size pan) or bake your own. I used this one from Allrecipes.com. Cool completely.
- Place the pudding mix in a large bowl. Pour in the eggnog and whisk for about 2 minutes. Refrigerate pudding until the gingerbread cake is cool and you are ready to assemble the trifle.
- In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in sugar and vanilla until peaks form.
- Crumble 1/3 of the gingerbread into the bottom of a trifle bowl or a large glass bowl. Spread 1/3 of the eggnog pudding over the gingerbread, then spread 1/3 of the whipped cream on top of the pudding. Repeat the layers with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped cream. (depending on the trifle bowl size). Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle the top with the raspberries and cookie crumbs before serving. Makes around 10 cups of dessert so make sure your trifle bowl can hold that much.
If you don't have a trifle bowl, a hurricane glass or large vase will be suffice. That's what I used! :)